Clinical Director of Neurology,
The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), Canada
Dr. Jiri Vajsar completed his MSc program in neurophysiology at the University of Ottawa and then his postgraduate training at the University of Toronto, Dr. Vajsar joined the Division of Neurology at SickKids in 1993. Dr. Vajsar is involved in ongoing neuromuscular research projects and also collaborates on patient management for peripheral nerve and brachial plexis and is the director of the EMG Laboratory at SickKids.
Some of his research are:
Autoimmune neuromuscular disorders:
- Development of novel treatment strategies in acute and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathies.
- Evaluation of long-term outcome of children with Guillain-Barre syndrome.
- Investigations in the use of new laboratory techniques in the diagnosis of acute and chronic inflammatory polyneuropathies. (e.g. somatosensory evoked potentials, electromyography and MRI).
- Development of novel treatment strategies in the treatment of polymyositis and juvenile myasthenia gravis.
Research in myopathies and muscular dystrophies:
- Ultrastructural characterization of myopathies and muscular dystrophies using immunolabelling techniques and clinical correlations based on the results of the ultrastructural studies.
- Therapeutic studies: Randomized, double-blinded, crossover trial in the use of creatine monohydrate in the treatment of muscular dystrophies.